woodblock, woodcut print, oil color, cloths
This is my graduation work.
People can walk on the woodblock just like the ground.
I also walked on this woodblock to make a print.
The red image contained the shape of my carving together with the shape of my feet.
The words written on the woodblock have no meaning. I picked them up at random from books and documents, newspapers around me (in three languages: Japanese, Chinese, and English.) Other people felt it looks likes a transcribed sutra or something else, but the red area―the carved spaces―are free from boundaries. They just exist in abstraction, like a piece of flesh.
I think the act of recognizing a language is like the act of sorting out a raindrop. In nature it’s a very difficult task, but people don’t think that way because language is in their body.
Japan used to have one custom called Fumie. That small bronze or brass plates with images of Christ was used to find secret Christians. The government got the suspicious people together, and let them put their feet upon it. The government considered the people who couldn’t step on the plate were Christian and therefore executed them.
This is one expression of thought control.
Of course, there are few existing institutions such as this in the world now.
But we still do it unconsciously and voluntarily even in a democratic nation. Why might this be? This may be because there is a personal context and a group context, and both are rarely be blended. This variance would exist forever as long as we are living in a community that demands a common language, common thought, and a common culture. Sometimes a test is necessary to see whether we have a common context or not.
- chumphriesz likes this
- hoitve reblogged this from muuuuum
- herewhereyouarent reblogged this from muuuuum
- livetobe-c0nfident likes this
- umalisonya likes this
- 1beyou1 likes this
- themellowhyped likes this
- eeveeslikecake likes this
- lousydeal likes this
- robinrydenhov likes this
- brownrosy likes this
- brevity-wit reblogged this from muuuuum
- dayvmattt likes this
- hip-grab reblogged this from muuuuum
- greendayandballet likes this
- akaritears likes this
- lindawiebe reblogged this from muuuuum and added:
- halluworld likes this
- telepatheticweirfo likes this
- ratta2ey reblogged this from lustik
- lateksiveli likes this
- megdreezy likes this
- eyeheartpainting likes this
- woodhome2012 likes this
- art-and-bunnies reblogged this from lustik
- seamply reblogged this from muuuuum
- jrobsonphotography likes this
- tiredartits likes this
- arianelaurencebinot likes this
- 7487 likes this
- benjay22 likes this
- brokensparkle reblogged this from muuuuum
- oliver-voelkening likes this
- maggiemccabe reblogged this from muuuuum
- maggiemccabe likes this
- artofbmc reblogged this from muuuuum
- cactus4million reblogged this from lustik
- theklicker likes this
- zdcbra likes this
- idreamofaworldofcouture likes this
- abandonedcloudcollective reblogged this from muuuuum
- withinthecage reblogged this from lustik
- daynajurgens reblogged this from shadiparty
- abangpinoy reblogged this from shadiparty
- abangpinoy likes this
- shadiparty reblogged this from muuuuum
- tungsram likes this
- breathing0ut-psychedelic-air likes this
- devidsketchbook likes this
- albertinas reblogged this from muuuuum